Take a moment to reflect on the following questions.
- Did you choose your job and income?
- Did you decide on your relationships?
- Did you pick where you live?
- Is your current lifestyle your conscious choice?
- Did you determine your level of happiness?
- Did you specify your impact on the world?
Or did you just accept what others have already decided for you?
We Are a Program Written by Others
In general, our lives are determined either directly by others or indirectly by their influence on us. We’ve been programmed by our families and by the society in general. We’re still being programmed continuously. Our lives are the results of that social conditioning.
- Are you OK with that?
- Are you OK with the life that others created for you?
- Are you OK with all the consequences of your social conditioning?
- Do you want to be an independent thinker?
- Do you want to question your programming consciously?
- Do you want to let go of what you no longer want or need?
- Do you want to claim your power over your life?
“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” Jim Rohn
- Are you willing to choose the people in your life consciously?
- Are you willing to let go of the people that hold you back?
Are you OK with being programmed by TV, newspapers, and magazines, to buy the products and services you don’t actually need, to spend your precious time on watching and reading them and thinking the way they want you to think?
Are you OK with being distracted by and spending your precious time on social media and mindless web surfing?
Are you OK with your past programming or do you want to let that programming go?
Decide and Act
The first step to claim your power over your life is to make a clear, firm decision. Make a decision
- To be an independent, critical thinker,
- To let go of your past programming,
- To say no to unwanted influences,
- To actively look for and create positive influences in your life and in the lives of others.
The second step is to go ahead and act on your decision. It’s not easy to give up on your deeply ingrained beliefs, thoughts, and habits, but it is possible. Changing your conditioning requires persistent conscious effort.
Do Whatever It Takes
You need to keep working on your programming, no matter how many times you fail. Don’t stop working on it until the effects of your past conditioning subside entirely from your life.
It calls for surrounding yourself with the people who have already achieved what you want to accomplish. It demands you to read, listen to, and watch their ideas.
It involves being aware of yourself and the influences in your life. It demands you to stay on this path no matter how many times you fail. That is the only way to claim your power over your life and to live the life you truly desire.
Software developer with a Ph.D. and 15 years of experience. I write daily on personal development and life lessons. Sign up to my email newsletter to receive a weekly overview of my latest content on personal development and life lessons.